UF College of Nursing dean will retire

UF College of Nursing Dean Kathleen Ann Long announced Monday her plans to retire at the end of the 2012-2013 academic year.

Long’s 18-year term as dean will be the longest in the college’s history. She has also served five years as associate provost, according to a press release.

Long said she’s retiring because she feels the timing is right for the college and her family. She plans to spend her free time traveling, skiing and spending time with her 14-month-old grandson, William.

“I would like to have more time to do the things I really enjoy, besides work,” she said.

Between now and spring 2013, Long said she’ll be working with faculty members to prepare the college for a smooth transition.

Since coming to UF in 1995 from Montana State University, Long has worked to strengthen UF’s nursing college.

Under her leadership, the school created accelerated degree programs and established Florida’s first incorporated Nursing Faculty Practice Association, an extended classroom that generates income for the college. She also oversaw two academic accreditation processes, according to the release, and raised almost $28 million for the college in two campaigns.

But Long said she’s most proud to have developed the shared governance model in which faculty members collaborate to offer innovative education practices.

“The people at the University of Florida — the faculty members, the administrative leaders, the alumni — are really remarkable, and I’ve learned so much from them,” she said. “I will definitely miss the people the most.”

Although Long is leaving the university, students can still see her in the Swamp, where she plans to attend home football games with her husband.

“I think the University of Florida is an extraordinary place,” Long said. “The enthusiasm for the university and for Gator Nursing is, to me, infectious.”

Contact Julia Glum at jglum@alligator.org.