In celebration of Pride Awareness Month, comedian and gay rights advocate Sarah Silverman will make a pit stop at UF on April 22 as part of her comedy tour.

Best known for her Comedy Central series “The Sarah Silverman Program,” which earned her a Primetime Emmy Award nomination, Silverman was also in the Oscar-nominated animated film “Wreck-it-Ralph.”

Hosted by Accent Speaker’s Bureau, Pride Awareness Month and Student Government Productions, Silverman will be paid $50,000.

The free program starts at 8 p.m. at the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts. Doors open at 7 p.m.

Students can pick up tickets with a Gator 1 Card at the Phillips Center Box Office beginning Friday.

Accent chairman Josh Holtzman said any leftover tickets will be distributed to the general public at 7 p.m. the day of the show, although he did not expect there to be many remaining tickets.

However, unlike prior Accent shows, only one ticket will be distributed per person. This is in response to the sold-out Neil deGrasse Tyson show earlier this month, said Holtzman, a 22-year-old UF political science and history senior.

“I’m excited,” he said. “It’s going to be hilarious.”

Silverman was chosen because she is a controversial, entertaining comedian who is an outspoken advocate for gay rights, Holtzman said.

Jessie Pincus, executive director for Pride Awareness Month, said having Silverman come to UF is an honor.

Pincus, a 22-year-old UF advertising senior, said she hopes this event would bring people together who are outside of the LGBT community.

“When you compare comedy and real issues at hand, I think people listen better,” she said.

Contact Alexa Volland at [email protected].

(0) comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything. Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person. Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts. Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.