Safety, poor conditions in the music building prompt petition from UF faculty, students

Faculty from the UF School of Music composed a petition to bring attention to the poor working and learning conditions found in the music building.

The petition, penned by Director of the School of Music John Duff last November and picking up steam this semester, lists seven problems that need attention.

“We’re waiting for something to go wrong,” said Trent Weller, the School of Music facilities manager. “It’s not a matter of if it will. It’s a matter of when are these things going to wear out.”

According to the petition, some of the issues that need resolving include enclosing the first and third floors to protect valuable instruments, resolving the acoustic issues that damage students’ and faculty’s hearing and bringing the building up to code.

“We don’t want students getting hurt,” Weller said. “We don’t want students coming out of here with issues with their hearing. We don’t want to lose students to other schools.”

The problems in the music building affect more than just the well-being of students and faculty.

“Our accreditation depends on some of these issues articulated here being fixed,” said associate professor for the College of the Arts  Steven Thomas, who brought the petition to the attention of college representatives on Friday.

Members of the faculty are not the only ones who feel passionately about the situation — about 300 music students have signed the petition so far.

“I think the petition serves to ensure the safety of the students,” said Ismael Sandoval, a music education and music composition senior. “It’s time for a change.”

[A version of this story ran on page 3 on 1/29/2015 under the headline “School of music petitions unsafe, exposed building"]