Mornhinweg, Willis get into fight over cleats

<p>Skyler Mornhinweg drops back to pass during Florida’s 19-14 loss to South Carolina on Nov. 16 at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, S.C.</p>

Skyler Mornhinweg drops back to pass during Florida’s 19-14 loss to South Carolina on Nov. 16 at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, S.C.

The same day news broke about the Treon Harris sexual assault allegations, two UF football players – quarterback Skyler Mornhinweg and defensive lineman Gerald Willis – got into a fight over a pair of cleats.

University Police officers responded to Ben Hill Griffin Stadium shortly after 7 p.m. Monday after being notified of a fight in progress.

However, the fight had already been broken up before law enforcement arrived.

Upon arrival, the responding officer spoke with defensive backs coach Travaris Robinson who advised the officer the team would deal with the issue internally, a report said.

When officers made contact with Mornhinweg in one of the stadium training rooms, they noticed small lacerations on Mornhinweg’s lower lip, according to the report. Mornhinweg advised the officers he was injured in the fight with Willis.

Mornhinweg told officers the fight escalated when he approached Willis about a pair of missing football cleats. Mornhinweg told Willis he found his missing pair of cleats in Willis’ locker, but Willis told Mornhinweg he grabbed the cleats in a rush to get to practice, according to the report.

Willis was unavailable for comment Monday, but contact was made with him Tuesday and he also confirmed that the fight started over the missing pair of cleats. Willis told officers he was eating dinner outside of the stadium before Mornhinweg approached him. The two exchanged words before Willis pushed Mornhinweg.

He said Mornhinweg then struck him on the chin before he punched Mornhinweg in the face. A small cut was visible on Willis’ chin, police said.

Mornhinweg was taken to UF Health Shands Emergency Room for the cuts on his lip. Willis did not need medical attention, according to the report.

Neither party wished to press charges. They were both referred to Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution.

"Based upon the complaint withdrawals, there will be no criminal charges on either individual," said UPD spokesman Major Brad Barber.

Mornhinweg started Florida’s final three games last season following season-ending injuries to starter Jeff Driskel and then second-stringer Tyler Murphy, who transferred to Boston College after the season ended.

The Philadelphia native threw for 344 yards, three touchdowns and one interception on a 69.8-percent completion rate in those three games — losses to South Carolina, Georgia Southern and Florida State.

With backup quarterback Treon Harris suspended indefinitely due to an accused sexual assault early Sunday morning on UF’s campus, Mornhinweg is expected to be Driskel’s backup when UF (3-1, 2-1 Southeastern Conference) faces LSU (4-2, 0-2 SEC) on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Will Grier (back spasms) — a true freshman and five-star recruit — was cleared to practice this week but has sat out the past two weeks.

Willis, a five-star recruit out of New Orleans, has seen limited action so far in his true freshman season but showed off his athleticism during training camp.

The 6-foot-2, 255-pound defensive lineman has played in two games in his freshman season (Eastern Michigan and Tennessee), recording four total tackles, a half tackle for loss and one quarterback hurry.

Florida football coach Will Muschamp is scheduled to speak with media for the first time since Harris’ suspension today. He will be live on the SEC teleconference at 11:20 a.m. and then will speak with local reporters at 11:30 a.m.