UF organizations are banding together to make students more aware of the hunger and homelessness around them.

Hunger and Homelessness Week begins its 14th year today, sponsored primarily by ACTIONS!, a service organization housed under the Center for Leadership and Service that is assisted by the Black Student Union, SISTUHS, the Service Ambassadors and the Inter-Residence Hall Association.

The week's events kick off with the Hunger and Homelessness Organization Fair today on the Reitz Union Colonnade from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

"The purpose is to have students become more involved in helping those in the community by joining other student organizations that work for that cause on a year-round basis," said Shantelle Bartra, the ACTIONS! Hunger and Homelessness Week Event co-chair.

The events continue tonight at 6 with the Oxfam Hunger Banquet in the Graham Recreation Room. At the banquet, students will be divided into three groups consisting of a poor, middle and elite class, Bartra said.

The division serves to help students learn about the disparities between classes in society, said co-chair Ana Tapia.

"In society you don't get to choose what class you're born into," Tapia said.

Tapia said students will receive different amounts of food and treatment based on the class they are divided into.

The event will also feature three speakers who have experienced homelessness, Tapia said.

The events end Friday at 6 p.m. in the Graham Gallery with performances from student organizations and information about hunger and the homeless.

A canned food drive will run throughout the week in the dorms and at sorority and fraternity houses, Bartra said.

"Gainesville has one of the biggest homeless populations," Tapia said. "It's important to show that we don't just go to school here. We actually care and want to do something about it."

Both Tapia and Bartra said that students help alleviate the state of hunger and homelessness not only during the week of events, but also by joining or volunteering with other service organizations throughout the year.