A Mars rover model, robots and bowls of ice cream chilled with liquid nitrogen were some of the exhibits at the Engineering and Science Fair, known as the E-Fair, Monday and Tuesday.

The fair, which attracted about 450 people to the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom, included students from local elementary schools, middle schools and an after-school program.

The fair had about 33 booths sponsored by UF clubs and research organizations and hoped to encourage children to pursue science-oriented careers, said Robert Williams, an industrial and systems engineering junior.

Williams said it’s important for students to have an idea of what they want to study before making their college plans.

Anthony Moore, a seventh-grader at Howard Bishop Middle School, wants to be a mechanical engineer. He marveled at a solar-powered car on display but thinks one day he’ll be able to make an even better robot.

“Probably when my time comes along there will be more advanced technology,” Anthony said.

Three-year-old Daniel Dickrell also has an idea about his future.

He’s debating between a job as a pilot and a job as Buzz Lightyear.

The fair is not just an opportunity for students to form career plans. It’s also a chance for scientists and students to have a little fun.

Paul Muri, president of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, said the fair gives scientists the chance to make their research available to students.

“Information is just out in the open,” Muri said.