After local suicide, remember mental health resources

The recent suicide of a Santa Fe student has cast light on the need for mental wellness resources in Gainesville. 

UF’s U Matter, We Care program helped students find the proper resources and support last year. Located on the second floor of Peabody Hall in the Dean of Students Office, the program uses a social work approach to guide distressed students to resources that would help them, said Jen Day Shaw, associate vice president and dean of students at UF.

“We get tons of referrals from faculty members because students miss a couple of classes in a row, or they write something in class that talks about being depressed,” Day Shaw said. She said students worried about a friend or classmate can report to U Matter, We Care and have a professional reach out to them.

The Partners in Adolescent Lifestyle Support program overseen by the UF Health Shands Psychiatric Hospital promotes tolerance, a positive self-image and leadership to high school students in Alachua County. Gainesville and Buchholz High Schools are only some of the schools that take part in the program.

“It’s pretty heartbreaking,” 22-year-old Lizzie Lunior said. “Especially when you think about somebody taking their life at that age. Hopefully programs like this will really instill us with support and communication so people feel connected to the people around them.”

The UF psychology and women’s studies senior works at the Alachua County Crisis Center answering phones for the crisis hotline, which she said is available to anyone in the community 24 hours a day.

“Anyone that needs to talk about anything going on in their life can call,” Lunior said.

The UF Counseling and Wellness Center also offers a 24-hour phone service. 

“The important thing is that they reach somebody,” counselor Linda Lewis said.

The center, which works with the U Matter, We Care program, screens people for suicidal thoughts when they come in for help, Lewis said. The center also offers walk-in emergency counseling at its Radio Road location and on the fourth floor of Peabody Hall at the Crisis and Emergency Resource Center.

“We’ve just gotten better and better at reaching out and getting students the help that they need,” Lewis said. 

The center also offers an online program called Kognito, which teaches students what to do or say to a friend that may be depressed or suicidal. 

UF students worried about a classmate or friend can call 352-294-CARE or email umatter@ufl.edu for guidance.

[A version of this story ran on page 6 on 1/14/2015 under the headline “After local suicide, remember wellness services"]