Fans of the University of South Carolina and UF were on opposing sides Saturday, except at the Greater Gator and Gamecock Tailgater.

For the first time in Gainesville, students and families were offered an alcohol-free tailgate co-sponsored by UF and the rival school on the Student Health Care Center’s front lawn on gameday.

About 1,000 people went to the tailgate to enjoy games and free food.

“When it comes to gameday, some people drink more than they normally would,” said Maureen Miller, director of GatorWell. “We provided an option where anyone could come and still have the opportunity to have a fun tailgate experience and not have to worry about alcohol being involved.”

The tailgate was created by the Alcohol and Drug Education Policy Committee and sponsored by representatives from USC as well as several UF organizations including GatorWell Health Promotion Services, University Police and the Department of Recreational Sports.

It marked the end of Conflict Resolution Week, a week of guest speakers and events aimed at educating students on proactive and peaceful ways to resolve or avoid conflict, according to the Dean of Students Office’s website.

Sara Schwartz, a 19-year-old architecture sophomore, chomped on two slices of pizza as she lounged in the shade with friends.

“It’s nice seeing these schools come together for a bigger cause,” Schwartz said. “Dehydration while drinking alcohol at the games is always a major issue, so what they are doing is a good thing.”

Schwartz said the alcohol-free tailgate was a lot of fun.

“They’ve really pulled in a big crowd while keeping Gators and Gamecock fans hydrated,” she said.

Miller said the tailgate marked the first largely coordinated and marketed event of its kind at UF.

The UF sponsors agreed they would like to do it again in the future.

“It was our first time doing it, and we were not sure what to expect,” she said. “We had a great turnout and consider it a success.”