UF is the second most vegan-friendly large university in the nation.

The university placed second in the large university category of PETA's Most Vegan-Friendly College Contest, which began with 32 universities and concluded voting on Nov. 14. Results were announced Monday.

The University of California, Santa Cruz, took the top large university spot. Northwestern University won in the small university category.

Vegans do not consume any animal products, including dairy products, meat, eggs and honey, according to PETA's website.

The incorporation of Meatless Mondays at the two on-campus dining halls contributed to UF's ranking this year, said Jared Misner, campaign manager for UF's Meatless Monday and a 21-year-old public relations senior.

Misner is a former Alligator employee.

The program campaigns for the dining halls to offer meatless menus on Mondays. Dining halls continue to serve meat on Mondays, but there are more vegan options available.

Misner said he thinks UF could win the contest if the dining halls offered only vegan fare on Mondays.

Jill Rodriguez, marketing program manager for Gator Dining Services, said in an email, "We are very excited to be recognized as the No. 2 most vegan-friendly school in the nation."

Rodriguez would not say if the university would consider offering meatless dining.