UF College of the Arts hosting arts and humanities event today

Ros Fiol, 19, will be drawing portraits of students for two minutes each on the Plaza of Americas today.

“It’s always a good idea to promote the arts, because it’s a great way for students to stimulate creativity,” the UF mathematics and art sophomore said.

Fiol will have a booth set up as a part of the Pop-Up Culture event hosted by UF’s College of the Arts to celebrate National Arts and Humanities Month.

The event, which runs from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., will feature performances from 15 student organizations and other campus departments. Students will be able to view performances that depict cultures from around the world, listen to a poetry reading and watch theater and musical performances.

The goal of the event is to connect students to the arts and humanities resources UF has to offer, said Allison Alsup, the public relations and partnerships specialist for the college. She said hosting the event on the Plaza of the Americas will help participating students reach a larger audience.

“We want students to be able to reach people they may not have access to with the cultural event,” she said.

Alsup said students who want to participate can register on the event’s Facebook page so performances can be scheduled.

“We want to know what’s going on so we can have the best opportunity for people to be able to hear and see all of the different events we have going on,” she said.