Dance Marathon hosts Summer event to raise awareness, donations

Though the rain may have washed up the Kickin’ it for the Kids Kickball Tournament earlier than planned Saturday, it didn’t wash away the success of the event.

The kickball tournament, which is usually hosted in the Spring, aimed to spread awareness about Dance Marathon and UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital to incoming freshmen. This year is the first time the event was hosted during the Summer, said Adam Lassley, DM’s community events overall director.

“It’s a time that Dance Marathon doesn’t have as big of a presence,” he said. “Our main goal was to connect freshmen who don’t know about Dance Marathon with students already involved.”

The kickball tournament will become an annual Summer event, said Lassley, a 21-year-old biochemistry senior.

He said the tournament raised about $300 and about 25 freshmen participated, with seven teams competing.

The Spring kickball tournament is usually geared toward organizations and people who already participate in DM, Lassley said.

Individuals paid $5 to register for the tournament, and complete teams paid $40, according to the event’s Facebook page.

Teams like My Kicks Don’t Lie and Kickin’ Gators competed in a standard kickball tournament until the game ended early due to thunder and lightning at 3:30 p.m.

The event took place on Hume Field and was scheduled to last from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Though the final bracket had not been played, team Mighty Ducks was declared the winner as the only undefeated team in the tournament.

Team members from The Fresh Kicks of Bel-Air invited 8-year-old Nathan “Nate” Ferrell to play on their team, Lassley said. Ferrell is a Miracle Child from the Children’s Miracle Network who has mitochondrial disease.

“It was really cool to see Nate running around with his oxygen backpack and having a good time playing kickball,” Lassley said.

DM is a year-long fundraiser and awareness campaign that brings attention to the children and families within UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital. The fundraiser benefits Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, said Claire Daniel, a 21-year-old public relations fourth year and DM’s public relations overall director.

“It culminates in a 26.2-hour event in the Spring,” she said. “Many on-campus organizations come together to stand for the cause. Families from the Miracle Network who are treated at UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital come to the event to speak and bring together the Gainesville community.”