UF student released from hospital after bone marrow transplant

<p class="p1"><span class="s1">Chris Abeleda, second from left, poses with his father, brother and mother. The </span>21-year-old UF psychology junior <span class="s1">was released from the hospital on Tuesday after being admitted for a bone marrow transplant to treat his</span> Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.</p>

Chris Abeleda, second from left, poses with his father, brother and mother. The 21-year-old UF psychology junior was released from the hospital on Tuesday after being admitted for a bone marrow transplant to treat his Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.

Chris Abeleda woke up around lunchtime Tuesday to news that he was being released from the hospital.

Before he left, he played “Like I’m Gonna Lose You” by Meghan Trainor and John Legend, leaving some of the nurses in tears. 

And at about 3 p.m., Abeleda — diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia as a freshman — was lying comfortably in the room his family rented in Wildflower Apartments.

After finding out his brother was a perfect bone marrow match and undergoing a transplant 19 days ago, Abeleda’s white blood cell count rose to 812, exceeding the 500 needed to get leave the hospital.

The standard hospital time after this procedure is usually 28 to 30 days, said Mara Abeleda, his 25-year-old sister and a UF alumna.

“To get that news so early —  it’s just over the top,” she said.

He has to wear a hospital mask outdoors and see the doctor every day to monitor his progress, but Abeleda, a 21-year-old psychology junior, said he’s ready get back to normal life.

The doctors are encouraging him to walk, even giving the OK to visit Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park. He’s going to play non-contact basketball in Wildflower’s court and hang out with friends.

Inspired by Abeleda, his fraternity — Pi Delta Psi — is hosting a bone marrow registry today on the Reitz North lawn from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

A man of few words, he said he’s feeling great.

“I’m just looking forward to getting back and getting back into things,” he said. “Really, that’s it.”

[A version of this story ran on page 4 on 2/11/2015 under the headline “UF student released from hospital after bone marrow transplant"]