UF received $644.4 million in research funding during the last fiscal year, $25 million more than the previous year.

Despite the economic downturn, the university’s 16 colleges received a total of 5,441 awards from the federal government, private organizations and industries, according to Joseph Kays, director of research communications.

Although UF received only $5.8 million in stimulus money from the 2009 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, and state and local funding dropped by 21 percent, funding from industry and private foundations increased by 24 percent, according to a UF news release.

UF spokesman Steve Orlando said the funding increase is a testament to the university’s research initiative.

“It shows our research prowess is being recognized more and more widely now,” Orlando said.

He also said a higher amount of research income could positively affect UF’s presidential search.

More funding translates into more opportunities for students, too.

“It really kind of excites a student like me who is interested in research,” said Bryan Stroud, a 20-year-old linguistics senior.

Some notable research awards UF received include $13.4 million for research to help elderly Americans remain physically active, $5.6 million to create biofuels from pine trees and $3.5 million to develop smart highway traffic systems, according to the news release.

David Norton, UF vice president for research, attributed the success to the faculty.

“Over the years, we have really put together a talented group of people,” he said.