Bernie Machen, UF President
Bernie Machen is UF’s 11th president since Jan. 5, 2004. He earned his undergraduate degree from Vanderbilt University. Previously, he was the president of the University of Utah, dean of the University of Michigan School of Dentistry and the president of the American Association of Dental Schools. He earns a base salary of $415,000 and $285,000 in performance bonuses annually. Fun Fact: He was a member of Sigma Chi

UF President Bernie Machen will join five other university presidents at the White House Tuesday to sit at a roundtable meeting with Vice President Joe Biden to discuss the use of stimulus funds for research programs.

In a written statement, Machen said he appreciates the invitation, especially because of the importance of research.

“There is no question that our work in the laboratory and the field has great benefits for the nation,” he said.

UF has received about $120 million in stimulus funds for research, according to UF spokesman Steve Orlando.

Some prominent organizations involved are the National Institutes of Health and the National Science Foundation.

In the statement, Machen said UF research often inspires companies to use similar technology.

“I think the vice president can be a strong voice in delivering the message that university research is a great investment in our economy and our national well-being.”

He will be joining the presidents of Purdue University, Johns Hopkins University, Washington State University, University of Pennsylvania and University of California at the meeting.

Robert Berdahl, president of the Association of American Universities, and M. Peter McPherson, president of the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities will also be attending.