The race for one of Florida’s U.S. Senate seats is officially under way, and UF has one of its own professors in the political battle.

Mike Haridopolos, the State Senate president and a UF professor, launched a campaign website, mike2012.org, last week. Haridopolos became the first Republican to jump into the race, putting pressure on other potential Republican runners to decide their own candidacy.

Ryan Garcia, the second vice chairman of UF College Republicans, believes the timing for Haridopolos to launch his campaign is perfect.

“People like new blood,” Garcia said. “Haridopolos is a charming, charismatic guy, and I think he would do a great job for the state of Florida and this country.”

In addition to his duties in the state senate, which he has served in since 2003, Haridopolos has also been a UF professor for three years, said Albert Matheny, associate dean of the UF College of Liberal Arts and Sciences who oversees the senator’s UF work.

In an e-mail interview, Matheny said he couldn’t remember another instance of a politician serving a term in office and working as a professor at UF at the same time. Lawton Chiles became an endowed professor of political science at UF after he had stepped down from his U.S. Senate seat.

Haridopolos usually teaches three classes during UF’s fall semester. In the spring, his legislative duties shift his work base to Tallahassee. He currently oversees about a dozen UF students interning with the state government.

“This is a real plus for UF because we have had difficulty placing interns there historically,” Matheny said.

If Haridopolos wins the Republican primary, he will most likely face incumbent Democrat Bill Nelson in November 2012. Nelson has served in the U.S. Senate since 2000, making him a potentially tough competitor, said Beth Rosenson, UF associate professor of political science.

Rosenson said that while he may be able to capitalize off of anti-Obama sentiment, Haridopolos’ lack of national political experience may be a hindrance to his campaign.

For Haridopolos, another problem that may become an attack point during the campaign is the ethics investigation into his financial disclosures last year.

Haridopolos admitted his failure to disclose information about a $400,000 Mount Dora investment home and other concerns and reached a settlement with the Florida Commission on Ethics in December.

“It’s a sin of omission, not one of commission. ... I don’t think it’s going to hurt him,” Rosenson said. “If he can get the party nomination, I think it’s a pro-Republican climate and he has a good chance.”

Even if Haridopolos doesn’t win, such a high-profile race could help him in future campaigns, she said.

“It’s a good risk for him to take,” she said. “I don’t see much that he could lose.”