Game day has usually been a mixed bag for university law enforcement – the thrill of Gator football mixes with the responsibility of keeping campus safe and clear of trouble.

Capt. Jeff Holcomb, spokesman for University Police, said the department focuses primarily on underage possession and the uncontrolled drinking environment on game day.

Since the 2007 season, the total number of arrests made during the first three SEC home games and Gator Growl has steadily declined, slipping from 92 in 2007 to 49 this season.

The number of UF students among those arrested has also dropped, from 22 in 2007 to 8 this year.

The leading cause for game ejection and arrest is possession of alcohol, an offense that has also seen its numbers drop since 2007.

Despite the drop in number of arrests, the total number of ejections has increased, from 212 in 2007 to 243 this year.

Holcomb said night games tend to lead to more arrests and ejections from Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, citing alcohol consumed throughout the day as a factor that plays into people’s behavior at the game.

“[A night game] gives people more time to tailgate,” he said.

From the 2007 season through the 2009 season, the first three SEC home games have only included one kickoff time past 3:30 p.m.

This year, all three games have had kickoff times of 7 p.m. or later.

Holcomb said drinking less all day will help curb arrest and ejection numbers.

“Try to avoid alcohol in mass quantities,” he said.

He said the only way to prevent getting into trouble is to simply become familiar with the rules.

“Know the laws and follow them,” he said.