The cutting of a navy-blue ribbon Friday marked the grand opening of an on-campus outdoor gear rental facility.

About 250 people attended UF RecSports’ grand opening ceremony for the Center for Outdoor Recreation and Education at 3 p.m.

The building, located behind Southwest Recreation Center, will rent out paddleboards, shoes, dry bags, life jackets, lanterns, kayaks and camping gear.

The first 100 students at the event received a free T-shirt, a coupon for 20 percent off their first rental and were entered into a drawing to win a free trip, which is valued at about $250. CORE offers one- to four-day weekend trips across the east coast.

Students could try out backpacks and other rental equipment during the event. Prices range between $2 for a sleeping mat and $60 for an inflatable paddle board for about a week’s worth of use.

UF Student Body President Susan Webster told the crowd she was excited to see the new facility open before she graduated. The project started in 2015, said Jackie Matthews, the coordinator for CORE.

“Student Government was critical to the construction of CORE,” Matthews said.

Kisa Mugwanya, the marketing program assistant for UF RecSports, said students have already started renting outdoor gear.

“CORE is an easier accessibility for students to explore on their own or with a little help,” Mathews said.