Food truck brings Latin flair, mobile dining options to UF

<p>Stefan Wolff, a 20-year-old economics junior, grabs a pulled pork cubano candwich for lunch at the La Lola Loca food truck near the Plaza of the Americas on Tuesday.</p>

Stefan Wolff, a 20-year-old economics junior, grabs a pulled pork cubano candwich for lunch at the La Lola Loca food truck near the Plaza of the Americas on Tuesday.

A new dining option is rolling onto campus.

La Lola Loca, UF’s first food truck, is in the middle of its first week serving Latin fare to go.

On Tuesday, the lime-colored truck covered in images of fresh produce and tropical flowers pulled up to UF’s campus and stationed itself between Grinter Hall and the University Auditorium.

Tyler Peters, a 21-year-old psychology senior, parked his black bike to order a chicken Lola’rito.

“In my four years here, I haven’t seen anything like it,” Peters said.

The Gator Dining food truck, whose name translates to “The Crazy Lola,” serves lunch on campus from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Similiar food trucks exist at University of Alabama, University of Tennessee and Florida State University.

The truck sold its first meal Monday, parked behind the Racquet Club dining center.

Students can purchase food with their Gator 1 Cards, in addition to cash or credit payment, Jill Rodriguez, marketing program manager for Gator Dining, wrote in an email.

The Latin menu includes modern versions of burritos, tacos and quesadillas.

Carolyn Dampier, the executive secretary in the Office for Research Information Services and Publication, met co-workers from Walker Hall and Grinter Hall to grab a quick lunch.

The chicken bowl she ordered was her first food truck meal.

“It’s something different and convenient,” she said.