Monday, March 18, 2024

While Dove World Outreach Center is gaining national attention for its planned Quran burning, one UF student is quietly working to promote peace in Gainesville.

Janice Dees is handing out red-and -white bracelets on Turlington Plaza to garner support for UF’s Muslim community.

The bracelets, which read “Islam is of the Heart,” are intended to counter Dove World Outreach Center’s anti-Islamic messages.

“Right now the eyes of the world are on Gainesville,” Dees said. “If we can, we should show as much support as possible for the Muslim community.”

Dees, a 22-year-old UF English senior, has been motivated to take action since spring, when a confrontation with a woman from the small Gainesville church left her outraged.

“I said to her that ‘Jesus preached a message of peace, don’t you realize this isn’t creating peace in your community?’ and she replied, ‘I don’t want peace; I want war,’” Dees said.

When biking past church members one day, a frustrated Dees exclaimed, “Islam is of the heart!”

She later found the message appropriate for the Livestrong-esque bracelets.

Her slogan is intended to counter the church’s message, “Islam is of the Devil.”

The controversial message is displayed on a series of signs on the church’s property in northwest Gainesville.

Church members also have printed T-shirts with the slogan on them.

Dees spent $60 to order 200 wristbands, hoping to provide students with a convenient and free way to refute the church.

“I feel like by passing these out, I’m taking away [the church’s] power and creating a positive atmosphere of love and acceptance,” Dees said. “Muslim students shouldn’t have to step on campus or in Gainesville and feel like they’re an object of hatred. No one should feel that way.”

Dees plans to remain on Turlington through Friday and has also collected donations.

Half of the proceeds will go toward the purchase of additional wristbands, and the other half will be sent to flood victims in Pakistan.

She hopes her efforts will turn attention away from the Dove World Outreach Center’s actions.

“People who say such things shouldn’t have a strong media spotlight,” Dees said. “Religion doesn’t kill people. People do.”