Interim director of School of Theatre and Dance died Sunday

Paul F. Favini, interim director of the UF School of Theatre and Dance, died Sunday night after a period of illness.

Favini, 51, was an associate professor of costume design and a UF faculty member since 2001.

"He was a skilled costume designer and administrator," said UF Public Affairs Director Janine Sikes. "He shared the passion of theater with all who he knew and worked with here."

On his personal website, Favini listed design experience from about 60 productions. As a freelance costume designer, he worked on productions such as "The Marriage of Figaro," "Romeo et Juliette" and "La Traviata."

Favini had a profound impact on the School of Theatre and Dance, Dean Lucinda Lavelli said.

"He was a man of extraordinarily varied talents," she said. "He understood the performer, and he understood the needs of the performer by way of technical theater."

Associate professor Ralf Remshardt will serve as interim director in Favini's place until the appointment of a permanent director, Sikes said.

The exact cause of death has not been made public, she said.

Plans for a memorial service are being finalized.