Undie dash moonlights tonight across campus

<p>Scantily-clad students run through the streets of the UF campus as part of The Great Underwear Dash.</p>

Scantily-clad students run through the streets of the UF campus as part of The Great Underwear Dash.

Red Dawn Gomonit wore only a blue bra and blue bikini bottoms with "love" written in pink.

The 19-year-old biological engineering sophomore wore her underwear with pride last April in the middle of Turlington Plaza, ready to run around campus.

Tonight, she'll do it again.

The semi-annual Great Underwear Dash streaks across campus tonight, beginning on Turlington Plaza at 11:30 p.m.

More than 3,300 people have clicked "I'm Attending" on the event's Facebook page.

"Things like this are only possible in college," said Briana Rittersporn, a 20-year-old telecommunication sophomore who ran in last spring's dash and will participate again tonight.

Participants arrive at the run dressed in clothes they wish to donate. Before the dash begins, the clothing is removed and collected in trash bags, and the participants prepare to run across campus dressed in their underwear.

Beau Bergeron, a UF alumnus, started The Great Underwear Dash in 2005. Since then, it has grown into a school tradition and is even featured in the "F Book" as an experience that students should have before graduation.

The university approved the run under one condition: People must wear some form of underwear.

"You're not allowed to be naked because that's indecent exposure," said Josh Kelley, a 20-year-old mathematics junior who ran in the event last spring.

The race is less than one mile long. It begins on Turlington Plaza, circles around Library West, goes down University Avenue and turns back toward Turlington Plaza. Participants must remain on campus, or they can be arrested for indecent exposure.

Kelley plans to donate the clothing to Operation Cover-Up Gainesville, a Student Alumni Association-sponsored service project. UF is competing against FSU to see which school can collect more clothing by November's football game. The clothes will be donated to United Way, The Salvation Army and other charities.

Although Kelley said it's tough to track how many people participate in the dash each year, about 2,430 people said they participated in the spring on "The Great Underwear Dash 12" Facebook page.

"If we get half of that, that's awesome," Kelley said. "Even 20 percent of that will be great."