You spoke. They listened.

As a result of increasing demand from the Student Body for the option to major in international studies, the new major is being added this semester.

James Robbins, executive director of the Center for European Studies, said students have already expressed enthusiasm about the new major.

"Dozens of students have expressed interest, which is surprising since we just launched the major," he said. "But at the same time, it's not surprising since student demand is what drove its creation in the first place."

Some of the interest in international studies comes from students who are studying international relations, Robbins said.

While there are many crossovers between the two fields, students will continue to be able to earn a certificate in international relations, which is a "well-established subfield of political science," he said.

International studies majors, however, can take a much wider variety of courses that have international perspectives - from anthropology to women's studies.

While much of the critical tracking for the major is still being finalized, students will be required to take a course on an international studies perspective and a senior research seminar. Students pursuing this major will also be required to study a foreign language for at least two years, he said.

Robbins said freshmen and sophomores could declare the major this year and still graduate on time.