Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Driving a stolen car filled with drugs, fake money and a gun, a Gainesville man led police on a chase that included crashing into a police car, the Alachua County Sheriff's Office said.

chandler mug

Marquese Terrell Chandler

Marquese Terrell Chandler, 18, was driving at about 11:30 a.m, a 17-year-old passenger with him, when ACSO deputies tried to pull him over with lights and sirens, according to a police report. He sped up, drove into a ditch and crashed the car.

The car emerged from the ditch and drove through traffic, according to the report. In an attempt to flee officers, he drove into the ditch a second time — his only escape blocked by a police car.

Chandler rammed the car into the side of the police car and pushed it away, according to the report. He accelerated to 95 mph, driving west on Northwest 53rd Avenue. He blew a tire and wrecked the car again.

He fled on foot and was cornered by deputies, according to the report.

Police found $2,500 in fake bills in Chandler’s possession, along with marijuana and a loaded handgun in the car, according to the report.

After his arrest, Chandler admitted he purchased drugs and encouraged the minor to use them, according to the report.

Police arrested Chandler on charges including reckless driving, grand theft auto and child abuse. Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail, where he remains as of press time with no bond.

mkornfield@alligator.org

@merylkornfield