UF sororities to mix pride with charity

About 2,500 UF sorority sisters will get together next week to commemorate Panhellenic Pride Week.

Members of all 16 sorority chapters will participate in various events to showcase their pride in the community, said Carey Mays, program coordinator for the Office of Sorority and Fraternity Affairs. Pride Week activities will run Monday through Friday.

"Panhellenic Pride Week is a week of events to get the Panhellenic community together to celebrate being in a sorority," Mays said.

On Monday and Wednesday, sorority sisters will volunteer at Gainesville elementary schools.

Many sororities will also hold events to raise money for those affected by the April tornadoes in Tuscaloosa and at the University of Alabama, Mays said.

Sigma Kappa pledged to raise a minimum of $200 for Alabama, said 19-year-old Laura Shen, a public relations sophomore and Sigma Kappa sister. Sisters are encouraged to purchase ‘champions helping champions' T-shirts because proceeds from the sales will go the relief fund.

The Panhellenic Council will hold a block party Thursday from 6 to 8 p.m. for chapter members. Each chapter will bake a dessert to share with the other chapters.

"I have lots of friends in all the Panhellenic chapters," Shen said. "I really enjoy repping my letters and seeing sisters and fellow Greeks all around campus."