Radical Press Coffee Collective will host its grand opening from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m. tonight.

Emily Sparr, a worker and owner of the shop, said she was thankful for the community’s help in shop’s opening.

“[The seven months] went surprisingly smoothly,” she said. “People donated money and items, and we couldn’t have done it without the support of Gainesville.”

The shop raised about $2,900 to open inside the Civic Media Center, 433 S. Main St. It will offer locally roasted coffee, shop-made sodas, local vegan baked goods and herbal teas.

Seven workers will work 15 to 20 hours each week, said Rusty Poulette, a worker and owner of the shop.

The shop runs as an anti-profit operation, which means all surplus money will be donated back to the community, Poulette said. It is also a worker-run collective, where each worker is equally paid, and decisions are made by a unanimous vote.

“I feel like I have a lot of control in the business and what goes on,” Poulette said. “So that feels really freeing. I don’t have anyone telling me what to do.”

(0) comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything. Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person. Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts. Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.