After rescue from Korean meat farm, puppies to be adopted

<p>Chrissy Sedgley, the director of operations at the Alachua County Humane Society, and Margot DeConna, the director of development, hold Bernard and Louie, 3- to 4-month-old jindo mixes inside the examination rooms at the shelter on Jan 16. DeConna said, originally, she thought the two dogs might need time to be socialized before being adopted, but after seeing them, DeConna said the dogs might get adopted sooner. “I think they’re going to be highly, highly adoptable,” she said.</p>

Chrissy Sedgley, the director of operations at the Alachua County Humane Society, and Margot DeConna, the director of development, hold Bernard and Louie, 3- to 4-month-old jindo mixes inside the examination rooms at the shelter on Jan 16. DeConna said, originally, she thought the two dogs might need time to be socialized before being adopted, but after seeing them, DeConna said the dogs might get adopted sooner. “I think they’re going to be highly, highly adoptable,” she said.

In the days since Gainesville became acquainted with Bernard and Louie, two puppies rescued from a South Korean meat farm and transported to the Alachua County Humane Society, many have fallen in love.

The 3- to 4-month-old Jindo-mix dogs were rescued in December and welcomed to the shelter Monday.

In the meantime, with the help of local media coverage, hundreds of calls and messages have poured into the shelter, said Chrissy Sedgley, the shelter’s director of operations.

Dozens of visitors have dropped by the shelter in hopes of meeting the dogs, and a total of 14 applications have been submitted for their adoption, she said. Applications will be accepted until Monday at noon.

The dogs are lovable, happy and soft, Sedgley said. She thinks their playful personality will make them a good fit in any family.

“As soon as they got here, they were able to stretch their legs,” she said. “They immediately started playing and romping around.”

While Sedgley is confident the puppies will find a happy home soon, she said she wants to be sure future owners are prepared.

“Just like with any puppy, they’re going to need a lot of attention,” she said.

Gainesville resident Heather Hunter said she hopes the dogs will find their way to her home to join her family.

“My kids are both animal lovers,” she said of her children Travis, 3, and Ruby, 2. “Anything that squeaks, crawls or meows — we love them all.”

Sedgley said she’s excited to find the dogs homes after all they’ve been through.

“They don’t seem fearful at all,” she said. “They don’t seem shy. I think they’re going to be a really good fit for somebody.”

cdickson@alligator.org

@ced0624