Business is on the rise for a local theater that reopened in June and now shows $2 second-run movies.

The renovated four-screen theater, Gators 4, located at 6741 W. Newberry Road, was once an AMC franchise that later changed to Gators Cinema. It closed last year for remodeling, including the replacement of 200 seats, the installation of a digital projector in one of the theaters, painting of the floors and replacement of sewage lines.

“Business is getting busier every week,” said Michael O’Brien, the general manager who has worked at Gators 4 for about 15 years while the theater changed hands four times.

He said the theater — which accepts cash only — can offer $2 tickets because the movies that are shown have been out in theaters for about four to eight weeks.

Although the theater is cleaner and in better condition, O’Brien said reopening a business is always a challenge. He said the air conditioning unit turns off occasionally, and older equipment is starting to rust. But when it comes to competition, O’Brien said he believes there isn’t any.

“The only other theaters around here are Regal theaters, and we don’t really compete with them,” he said.

Candace Webb, an 18-year-old UF nursing freshman, said her recent experience at the remodeled theater was positive.

“It was clean and very affordable,” she said. “You can tell the theater is old but well-maintained.”