UK robotic company to make US debut in Gainesville

Out of all the cities in the U.S., a foreign startup company chose to open its first U.S. location in Gainesville’s Innovation Square, and a UF alumnus is heading the location.  

Zeeko Ltd., a UK-based technology company, manufactures intelligent robotic polishers, which have been used to polish high precision optics, among other things. Most notably, Zeeko’s products were used to polish the optics on NASA’s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter. 

“The research coming out of the University of Florida is what drew attention to Gainesville,” wrote Arthur Graziano, director of the Zeeko’s Gainesville facility and UF alumnus, in an email interview.    

Graziano said Zeeko’s staff is excited to work with Hitomi Yamaguchi Greenslet, an associate professor in UF’s Center for Manufacturing Innovation. Greenslet is an expert in magnetic abrasive finishing, which is technology Zeeko aims to incorporate into its existing products.

Trimark Properties has partnered up with Zeeko to develop the new 1,080-square-foot facility, wrote John Fleming, Trimark Properties managing partner, in an email.

“Our relationship with Zeeko is just beginning, as it is with Zeeko’s new relationship with Gainesville and Innovation Square,” Fleming said.

Graziano said he will also be looking out for talent on UF’s campus as the startup grows and expands its staffing position.  

Construction on the Zeeko facility has begun and should be completed by early summer. Graziano said they plan on Zeeko being up and running by the end of the summer.

[A version of this story ran on page 1 on 5/27/2014 under the headline "UK robotic company to make US debut in Gainesville"]