A Gainesville man was arrested for allegedly beating his pregnant girlfriend Wednesday morning.

Jacob Criger was arrested at 4:15 a.m. on felony charges of domestic battery on a pregnant woman and obstructing justice.

The fight started after an argument between Criger, 32, and his girlfriend, Shameka Washington.

According to an Alachua County Sheriff’s Office arrest record, Criger said Washington started to argue with him because she was angry another woman gave him a beer.

Washington said Criger held her down and hit her in the face multiple times during the argument.

She fought back.

Washington said she bit and scratched Criger to get him off of her, according to the report.

Police found two bite marks on Criger’s shoulder, a bite wound to his stomach, scratches on his back and a scratch inside his mouth.

Criger said he hit Washington because she started to bite him.

Washington tried to call the police, but she said he smashed the phone against her head and took it away from her.

Criger denied that he took the phone, according to the report, and said Washington threw the phone on the ground and he picked it up.

Police dispatch heard what sounded like the phone being taken from the female caller and being hung up, according to the report.

Criger followed her as she walked away until police arrived.

When police found her, Washington’s face was red and swollen in multiple places.

Criger and Washington have been in a relationship for about a year. They lived together in the past, but now live separately, according to the report.

Criger told police that Washington recently told him she was pregnant with his child, which she confirmed.

His bond is set at $20,000.

Contact Ben Brasch at bbrasch@alligator.org.