Karma Cream to move near Reggae Shack

<div>&nbsp;</div>

Karma Cream will get a new home next semester.

The close-to-campus shop, which serves organic coffee, vegan ice cream and sandwiches, will be moving in January down West University Avenue to a larger space next to Reggae Shack, said Alaina Walton, 23, a three-year employee of Karma Cream.

The new location, at 607 W. University Ave. where Swift Cycle used to be, will offer customers additional seating and parking, said Emily Schwartz, a co-owner of Karma Cream. There might also be new drinks on the menu.

“We might be adding a few taps of local brews, kombucha and a few more additions to the menu,” Schwartz said.

Since opening in 2009, Karma Cream has been at 1025 W. University Ave., serving as a study spot for many students. Walton said customers request different baked goods, but because of the lack of space, they have not been able to make as many treats as she wishes.

But while the new location may offer an expanded menu and space, Christine Samuel, a 20-year-old UF dietetics junior, said it won’t be as convenient to walk to from her apartment, which is behind the current location of the shop.

While enjoying an almond-and-butter-pecan-flavored ice cream, topped with cookie dough and whipped cream, she said the new spot will be a farther walk for her and others.

“It’s kind of annoying because it’s a 30-second walk here, so I probably won’t go everyday anymore,” Samuel said.