Gainesville residents showed their support for the musical “The Toxic Avenger” after its popularity called for an extended end date.

The musical, a parody about a hero, a villain and an important message opened June 3 and will run until July 31 as opposed to the June 26 closing date.

“I don’t think anyone has found a secret to what the audience will and will not embrace,” said Lauren Caldwell, the artistic director of the Hippodrome State Theatre and director of the musical. “If I ever figure out the secret to that I’ll let you know.”

Summertime is usually vacation time, and the musical is one of those things that offers a great time in a cool building, Caldwell said.

The cost to put on a musical costs thousands of dollars and differs with every show, she said. Musicals are more expensive due to the amount of work needed to put everything together as well as the loyalties they need to pay.

The musical will be shown Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 7 p.m., Thursdays and Fridays at 8 p.m., Saturdays at 5 p.m. and 8:30 p.m., and Sundays at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.

Previews are $18; Friday, Saturday and Sunday matinees are $35; and Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday evenings are $30. Discounts of $25 include seniors, people under 30 and veterans; discounts of $15 include student and youth; and discounts of $20 are offered for far side seats.