101 Cantina filed Tuesday to countersue the property owner trying to evict the Midtown restaurant and bar.

In the suit, Cantina alleged it lost business due to a sexual battery that the property owner, Pauzel LLC, failed to respond to by not providing adequate security, according to court documents.

Cantina is asking for $180,000 in damages, according to the documents.

During the July 21 incident, which occurred behind the restaurant, Christopher L. Shaw, then 34, led a woman behind a dumpster and sexually assaulted her, according to Alligator archives. A Cantina employee and UF football player later noticed the incident and stopped Shaw, who was later arrested.

Elsewhere in the countersuit, Cantina denied entering into a monthly contract with Trimark Properties LLC, an agent of Pauzel, according to the documents. It also disputed against having a month-to-month lease that expired Aug. 31 and the notion that it owed Trimark double rent for staying past when Trimark claims their lease ended.

Cantina also demanded a trial by jury, according to the documents.

Prior to filing the countersuit, Cantina filed a motion to reject the eviction, claiming that the original notice was improperly served to an employee and not a member of the business, according to the documents.

In its response, Trimark Properties said the registered agents’ address was a UPS store, according to the documents.

Pauzel’s lawyer declined to comment, and Alex Thomas, a partner of Cantina, did not respond to requests for comment.

(0) comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything. Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person. Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts. Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.