Organization offers Trump piñata hits to raise money

<p>Paloma Mendez, a UF Spanish senior, swings at a Donald Trump-shaped piñata created by visiting artist Ana Trevino at the Civic Media Center on Nov. 21, 2015. There were about 25 people attending.</p>

Paloma Mendez, a UF Spanish senior, swings at a Donald Trump-shaped piñata created by visiting artist Ana Trevino at the Civic Media Center on Nov. 21, 2015. There were about 25 people attending.

Melanie O’Rourke took a few steps back before she hit Donald Trump’s body with a stick.

The Santa Fe College industrial biotechnology senior laughed before she handed the stick to the next person.

O’Rourke was participating in "Wack Trump," an event at the Civic Media Center on Saturday that allowed visitors to hit a Donald Trump piñata. While it was free to hit the piñata, the Civic Media Center raised $30 in donations to maintain its nonprofit events.

Ana Treviño, 31, created the piñata after she heard the comments Trump made during the summer about Mexican Americans.

A Mexican American who grew up making piñatas, the UF art and technology graduate student thought it was a good way to blend her art with her feelings about Trump.

"Donald Trump is a figure that is saying a lot of toxic things," Treviño said. "This is a way for like-minded individuals to get together and bash on what he is saying."

The piñata was filled with Mexican and American candy as well as negative quotes Trump has said about immigration.

Paula Johns, 21, watched from afar as her friend hit the Trump piñata.

"It seemed entertaining for a good cause against what he is doing," the UF psychology senior said. "His policy is not in the best interest for what our country needs."