Canned pumpkin shortage threatens pumpkin pie

Shayna Brouker has a pumpkin problem.

After searching grocery stores for canned pumpkin in the last few weeks, her hopes of making pumpkin-filled foods faded.

Brouker, a UF journalism senior, said she tried Publix on 34th Street and the location on Archer Road, but neither store had canned pumpkin.

"I even asked the store employees, and they said they didn't have any and wouldn't for a while," she said.

According to an article on CNN.com, the nation's pumpkin-growing states are suffering poor weather.

"I had heard there was a pumpkin shortage due to a bad harvest, so I went out to stock up but couldn't find canned pumpkin anywhere in stores," Brouker said.

Publix manger Betty Brunson said the store at 125 SW 34th St. has been out of stock for about four weeks.

Brouker, who uses canned pumpkin to make pumpkin bread, oatmeal, waffles and pancakes, said she continued searching for the essential ingredient but was out of luck for about two weeks.

"I finally found it about two weeks ago at Walmart. I bought five cans of it to stock up, " she said.

Joe Hight, manager at The Fresh Market, 4120 NW 16th Blvd., said his store was one of the few that didn't run out of canned pumpkin.

"I've heard of other shoppers who have had trouble, but that was not the case here," Hight said. "My supplier has been able to supply me with all the stuff to make pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread."

Brouker said had she not been able to find canned pumpkin, she had alternative methods.

"I could have bought an actual pumpkin and scraped out the guts, but that is a little labor-intensive," she said. "I would have probably just had to wait for next season."