FHP: Car totaled, driver hurt after collision with semitruck

<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-0719d62b-71dd-d8ba-1633-71327b806f0a"><span>The Mercedes involved in the crash sits in the median of U.S. Highway 441. The driver was taken to UF Health Shands Hospital and remains in stable condition.</span></span></p>

The Mercedes involved in the crash sits in the median of U.S. Highway 441. The driver was taken to UF Health Shands Hospital and remains in stable condition.

A man was taken to UF Health Shands Hospital after his car and a Walmart semitruck collided at the intersection of U.S. Route 441 and County Road 234 on Thursday, the Florida Highway Patrol said.

The semitruck was traveling north on U.S. 441 in the right lane when the driver of a white Mercedes traveling east on County Road 234 cut across the intersection and into the left side of the truck at about 4:55 p.m., FHP Trooper Rick Brown said. The car’s airbags deployed, and the driver was taken to Shands, where he remains in stable condition.

The car hit the truck and spun into the median, leaving debris scattered across the two northbound lanes of U.S. 441, Brown said. The truck made a controlled stop further up the road.

Alachua County Sheriff’s Office, Alachua County Fire Rescue and FHP responded to the scene of the accident.

Brown estimates $10,000 worth of damage to the truck. He said the car was totaled and towed from the scene.

Wreckage did not block either lane, and traffic was able to clear quickly — within about five minutes, he said.

As of press time, an investigation of the crash is still ongoing. No charges have been made.

@merylkornfield

mkornfield@alligator.org