New Gainesville grocery store offers a taste of Poland

Gainesville residents don’t need to hop on a plane to get a taste of Europe anymore.

The Europe food store, which offers a variety of Polish treats and more, opened its doors to customers on Nov. 4.

The store, 3312 SW 35th Blvd., offers an authentic variety of pierogi, sausages, deli meat, bread, fish, cakes and juices.

“You can’t buy these foods anywhere else,” owner Gosia Krzyszczak said.

Krzyszczak, a UF graduate, moved to Gainesville in 2004 from Szczecin, Poland, and decided to open the store two years ago after her mother came to Gainesville.  

Despite European food being generally expensive, the store’s products are quite affordable, said David Rosenberg, a UF law student. The products range from 80 cents to $10.

“It’s always nice to know I can try things I’ve never eaten before without emptying my wallet,” Rosenberg said.

Krzyszczak said that American students who’ve spent time in Europe are frequent customers and say the food brings back memories of their travels.

She plans to add food from other countries, including Russia and Germany, to the store.

The Europe food store is open from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday and from noon to 9 p.m. on Sunday.