Artists gather at gardens to paint nature scenes

Davis McGlathery set up an easel near a large flower garden and got to work.

She blended brown and green acrylic paint and started to paint the vibrant scene of trees and bushes before her.

McGlathery joined 15 other painters at the 62-acre Kanapaha Botanical Gardens throughout the weekend for the Worldwide Artist Paint Out. The event will raise money for the gardens through art sales.

Artists spread in the gardens to paint scenes of butterflies, trails lined with springy plants and trees that towered above the canvases.

Residents meandered in and out, watching the artists work.

“It’s a good excuse to be outdoors and have fun with other painters and the public,” McGlathery said.

International Plein Air Painters sponsored the Worldwide Artist Paint Out. Members were encouraged to paint outdoors Friday through Sunday.

Event coordinator Tim Malles said each artist produced about three pieces of art throughout the weekend.

Forty percent of the proceeds from the sale of the art will go to Kanapaha Botanical Gardens.

Malles said the event was hosted at the gardens to bring attention to nature sites within the city.

“We wanted to showcase the best of our local beauty,” he said.