Victims sue rapper Plies for 2006 shooting

Five Gainesville residents are suing a Florida rapper, his record label and a local club after they were shot during a 2006 concert.

Billy Dee Williams, Michael Lamar Daymon, Edwin Devasco Faircloth, Steve Ruben Jean-Jacques and Dorian Shannel Johnson are suing rapper Plies, whose real name is Algernod Lanier Washington. They are also suing night club 238 West and Washington's record label, Slip-N-Slide Records Inc., for compensatory damages.

Washington is best known for his 2007 single "Shawty" featuring T-Pain.

According to the suit, after Washington's microphone was cut off during his show at the West University Avenue establishment, he "became enraged and a fistfight ensued."

Tory Denard Carnegie and Ronnell Lawrence Lavatte, Washington's security guards, then pulled out guns and began firing, the suit stated. The victims were each shot in different places, including the foot, neck, arm, abdomen and cheek.

According to court records, both Lavatte and Carnegie pleaded no contest to criminal charges and received prison sentences.

Washington pleaded no contest to possession of a concealed firearm but was not sent to prison, the records stated.

But Christopher Chestnut, the attorney representing the five shooting victims, said Washington is also to blame.

"Plies is unequivocally responsible for his entourage," Chestnut said. "They shot on his behalf."

Washington knew or should have known that guns were not allowed in the club, and knew or should have known that his employees had them, Chestnut said.

Chestnut said that while he is not trying to control what Washington says, Washington's lyrics promoted violence toward his clients that night.

"What we're saying is, 'Leave that on the record and don't bring that into the club,'" Chestnut said.

Messages left at Slip-N-Slide were not returned by press time.

Chestnut said his clients deserve to be compensated for medical bills, loss of pay while they were recovering and other psychological damages they suffered because of the shootings that night.

"Some of these people were staring down the barrel of a gun just before it was fired," he said.

Chestnut said he is also trying to send a message to Washington and his label.

"It is not cool to go into a club and shoot up everyone," he said.