Southbound lanes on Interstate 75 were closed Tuesday morning for more than two hours after a fatal car crash shut down the highway just north of Newberry Road.

Lisa King, a 41-year-old Gainesville woman, was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash.

According to Florida Highway Patrol, King was headed north on Interstate 75 at about 8:30 a.m. and passing vehicles when she lost control of her black 2006 Toyota sedan and ended up counter-clockwise on the southbound lanes.

FHP spokesman, Lt. Pat Riordan, said as King’s Toyota crossed the median to the southbound lanes it was T-boned by a Dodge truck.

“The car was so destroyed I couldn’t tell the model of the Toyota,” Riordan said.

The Dodge Ram was traveling southbound on the interstate by James Edward Bloomer, 63, of Dade City, who suffered minor injuries to his wrist at the scene of the accident.

Bloomer’s wife, Veronica Irene Bloomer, 61, was taken to Shands Hospital at UF with non-life-threatening injuries.

The southbound lanes were re-opened around 11 a.m.

Tags

(0) comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything. Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person. Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts. Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.