Public God rules blind leading the blind

If you put a frog in a pot of boiling water, it will jump out immediately, clambering its way to safety.

If you drop it in lukewarm water and turn the burner on low, it will float quietly and calmly in the pot, unaware of any danger.

Gradually heat up the water and watch as the frog sinks into what author Daniel Quinn called a “tranquil stupor.”

The water will eventually boil, and the frog, unlike the one that survived in Al Gore’s version, will cook to death.

I use this metaphor to illustrate man’s inability to react to the steady decline of a moral authority in our society — an authority that has gradually been replaced by everything and everyone except — gasp! — God.

I remember what happened last year at the Democratic National Convention.

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa brought an effort to amend their party platform by adding a mention of God and declaring Jerusalem the capital of Israel.

Like Peter, the delegates denied the amendment three times.

Despite the majority who cried “nay,” the motion was adopted and the platform amended.

This wasn’t the first time Democrats tried to expunge a reference to God, as if using it usurps individuals’ right to freely and willingly choose what and who they should believe in.

Throughout the years, their moral ineptitude brought about a deliberate movement to eschew spiritual influences and godliness in society.

In the name of the First Amendment, public schools can no longer call for prayer.

Classrooms won’t discuss Scripture.

And the “under God” mantra in the Pledge of Allegiance is officially, and sadly, under assault.

In our country’s history, it wasn’t unusual to pray.

It wasn’t ghastly to espouse biblical messages.

Our Founding Fathers understood they couldn’t mold man.

Instead, they relied on moral men to mold government.

Religion, to them, was essential.

Mention God today, and secularists will shout, “Separation of church and state! Separation of church and state!”

Thomas Jefferson’s “wall of separation” protected an individual’s faith against governmental interference. It prevented the state from becoming church.

In other words, it guarded local churches from the government.

Public displays and proclamations of faith, however, are not unconstitutional.

George Washington believed, “Religion and morality are indispensable supports.”

Some people even attribute him as saying, “it [was] impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible.”

Benjamin Franklin warned an unknown atheist, “If Men are so wicked as we now see them with Religion, what would they be if without it?

In “Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope,” Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia was forced to strap down her breasts because her white dress didn’t permit any lingerie to be worn underneath.

Fast-forward to “Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi,” and Princess Leia is depicted on the poster in an outfit one might see at Cafe Risque.

Our culture’s perception of right and wrong is constantly evolving, for lack of a better word.

Truth is relative.

Admonishment is tantamount to judgment.

British writer and journalist G. K. Chesterton said, “When people cease to believe in God, they don’t believe in nothing; they believe in anything.”

Look around.

People will worship anything: globalism, diversity, environmentalism, statism — you name it!

God has effectively been replaced by worthless -isms.

Conforming is cool.

We kneel at the altar of narcissism and self-aggrandizement.

We idolize hedonism.

Yet it’s news to us when high schools have daycares and health classes teach students how to unravel condoms on cucumbers (or, in my case, carrots).

Recently, the Future of Sex Education (as well as many other associations) has been developing the standards to educate kindergarteners about “comprehensive sexuality.”

Soon, 5-year-olds will know the ABCs of STDs, and Daniel and the Lions’ Den will be replaced by demonstrations of Barbie straddling Ken.

Just don’t mention God, though.

That’s intolerant.

Erik Skipper is an economics sophomore at UF. His column runs Wednesdays. You can contact him via opinions@alligator.org.