UF President Machen welcomes new students

Welcome to UF! You have made an excellent decision in choosing UF, and I know you are excited and eager to get started on your journey here.

We pride ourselves on offering a world-class education, while also giving students the opportunity for a life-changing college experience. You will take classes from accomplished faculty members, many among the top scholars and scientists in their fields. You also will have the chance to participate in serious research and scholarship, study abroad, pursue any number of sports or recreational activities, join a vibrant Student Government or volunteer for a variety of timely causes and worthy organizations.

With your excellent work in high school, you earned your place at Florida’s best university — and one of the most diverse and most comprehensive universities in the country. I advise you to begin your time here with an open mind. This experience may be your best opportunity to encounter new ideas, embrace new experiences, and, I hope, discover your life’s calling.

In education, in recreation, in travel, you have an ocean of possibilities at UF:

About 100 undergraduate degree programs, 220 graduate programs or personally customized majors that combine two or more disciplines.

Club or intramural sports from volleyball to Ultimate Frisbee to soccer, from cricket to kendo to sailing, from ping pong to bowling to water polo.

More than 900 student clubs and organizations devoted to cultural, political, artistic, religious, athletic and scholarly pursuits — the Argentine Tango Club, University Habitat for Humanity, Dance Marathon and more.

Dozens of study abroad programs that bring students to countries in Europe, Africa, Asia and elsewhere around the world.

A campus rich with possibilities for study and play, from nine libraries to the state-of-the-art Southwest Recreation Center to the beautiful Lake Alice and nearby Lake Wauburg.

For those of you in the physical and social sciences, I also encourage you to get involved in research through, for example, the University Scholars Program. If you are pursuing a liberal arts degree, seek to work one-on-one with faculty members on scholarly projects. The earlier you begin your careers as researchers, scholars and professionals, the earlier you will succeed in graduate school or in fields outside the university.

As new students, you may not yet be aware that you will be witnessing history during your first year at UF. In January, the first class of the Innovation Academy will be arriving on campus. Believed to be the first program of its kind in the nation, IA gives students the chance to attend class during the Spring and Summer semesters while taking off during the Fall so they can pursue internships, study abroad or other opportunities. The goal is to expand access to UF — perhaps even for your younger siblings — while fostering creativity, innovation, leadership, entrepreneurship and ethical behavior.

On the non-academic front, I am happy to tell you that work will soon be under way on a long-awaited and much-needed renovation and 100,000-square-foot expansion of the Reitz Union. The new construction will include space for student clubs and organizations, the Center for Leadership and Service, the Department of Student Activities and Involvement, the office of Multicultural and Diversity Affairs and GatorWell Health Promotion Services. It also will include a ballroom, lounges, meeting rooms and dance rehearsal studios. Groundbreaking is scheduled for Summer 2013, but you will have a chance this fall to watch the design work unfold online and comment on it (look for an announcement on the website soon). This is your union, and this is your chance to have a say in its future.

As our newest students, you have an incredible experience ahead of you here. Make the most of it, and welcome to UF and The Gator Nation!

Bernie Machen is the president of UF.