Editorial Endorsement: Students Party is best choice for students

This probably won’t come as a surprise to you, dear readers. Despite how many times we’re called a “liberal, pinko, commie rag,” we’d like to endorse the Students Party.

In fact, it’s our honor to endorse them.

It’s not because they’re the minority party; we don’t always want to endorse the minority party, but we don’t feel like we have any other option.

One day, if the system eventually does change, maybe we’ll consider the other side. Today is not that day.

They want to fix the system, from the executive branch all the way through the Student Senate. In order to see changes, compromises or a more proper representation of the UF Student Body, a majority of seats should go to the Students Party. We’re just guessing, but it appears that the Swamp Party only represents a minority of UF students.

The Students Party will attempt a new level of transparency between the government and the students. If you see a broken sprinkler, let them know. They want us to hear about our student government outside of election season. An open dialogue and communication capability is crucial for any relationship to work, especially the one between us and our government.

People with the best ideas should be able to advance more than they currently are capable of doing with the way the SG system works. If students are timid to present their ideas or to even begin running for a position, those ideas will never be heard. The Students Party believes in a meritocracy: a way to let the most qualified people rise to the top. This would not be based on who you know or what organizations you belong to; it would be based on the best ideas for the UF Student Body. That notion might be radically different from the SG we have right now.

As far as platforms go, the Students Party’s isn’t as hip as the Swamp Party’s. It is focused on finding solutions that are reasonable; there’s no need to invent an app when changing the lightbulbs in the blue lights on campus will do the same thing. The Students Party knows that nothing is instant, but some of its goals are definitely achievable. They are willing to stand up for the Student Body if a majority of people disagree with our administration, something that SGs of the past have not done.

We know this decision might seem predictable. It might even seem personal, but it’s not. We’re not letting past events color our decision this election.

Representatives from both parties came to our offices to pitch themselves, and this is how the chips fell.

Don’t let our choice affect how you will vote; take a look at all of the facts first, and make up your own mind.

And if you enjoyed our coverage of this election, vote “NO” on the referendum regarding the distribution racks on campus. Less opportunities to pick up our paper equal less opportunities to experience free speech.