Low voter turnout has been a prominent feature of American elections for the last several decades. In the 2012 election, only about two-thirds of all voters cast ballots.

This figure significantly trails other developed countries such as South Korea, Taiwan and Turkey, each of which had a turnout rate of at least 74 percent in their most recent national elections.

One of the demographic groups most responsible for the low voter-turnout rate in the U.S. is the youth population, particularly college-age students. Only 41.2 percent of Americans age 18 to 24 voted in the 2012 presidential election.

A new online service, TurboVote, could be an excellent step toward establishing greater political relevance for Florida college students. The service, which the Sun Sentinel described as "a ‘one-stop shop’ for registration and information on how and where to cast ballots," is partnering with 39 Florida colleges and universities to increase voter registration among their students.

Registering to vote is about more than just fulfilling a civic duty or being a responsible member of society. If politicians know the youth vote will have a major impact on the outcome of elections, they will likely be more attentive and responsive to the issues that affect college-age Americans.

Many political analysts argue that strong support from younger generations of Americans played a key role in President Barack Obama’s victories in the 2008 and 2012 elections. The more young Americans who register to vote, the more likely that they will play an even greater role in determining the outcomes of future elections.

Voter registration initiatives like TurboVote are even more important given the unpredictable, often misguided election policies of the Gov. Rick Scott administration and the Florida Legislature. Scott deserves credit for signing a 2013 law to restore early voting and expand polling places, even if he was simply reversing policies that his fellow Republicans had previously enacted and that Scott also supported in the past.

However, some of Scott’s election policies have seemingly been designed to prevent as many people as possible from voting. His support for repressive voter ID laws, unnecessary attempts at regulating registration groups like the League of Women Voters and illegal attempts to purge thousands of Florida voters from the polls have all made voting in the Sunshine State a more complicated and unpleasant process.

Regardless of mostly baseless concerns about voter fraud, voter registration should not be a partisan issue.

Florida’s college students contribute strongly to the state’s economy and culture. Most importantly, the youth of Florida deserve the opportunity to influence the decisions and policies that will shape the future of our state and nation for decades to come.

College students deserve a voice in America’s halls of political power, but that can only happen if we vote in large enough numbers to make it a reality.

If you’re not already registered to vote, visit TurboVote.org, and let your voice be heard.