Monday, March 18, 2024

Updated: Cornerback Brown out with knee injury

Florida cornerback Jeremy Brown has been out this week with a knee injury, a source close to the football team said Wednesday. Brown suffered the injury during practice last week and could miss up to three weeks.

The junior was expected to compete for a starting position during training camp. He appeared in 11 games, starting 10, last season.

Brown's injury could open the door for sophomore Cody Riggs and freshman Marcus Roberson to start Florida's season opener against Florida Atlantic on September 3. Several receivers on the team have pointed to Riggs as the toughest corner to go against, and Roberson has drawn praise from Muschamp.

"He could possibly start," the coach said Tuesday. "We're going to play the best players. I don't care what grade they are, where they're from — it don't matter to me."

Redshirt senior Moses Jenkins, who has played in 29 games in his career, could also be a candidate to start.

Brown was sidelined his first two seasons in Gainesville by back injuries. Last year was his first healthy season, and he recorded 15 tackles, deflected five passes and intercepted three passes.

UPDATE: Brown was seen leaving practice in pads Friday afternoon. He was wearing a brace on his right knee and was being helped by a teammate as he limped down a flight of stairs at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

UPDATE: "Jeremy Brown has had a little bit of a knee [injury]," Muschamp said Saturday. "He's missed the last week. I expect him back probably by Wednesday or Thursday of next week."