<p>UF starter Jackson Kowar will take the mound in an elimination game against Texas on Tuesday at the College World Series in Omaha, Nebraska. </p>

UF starter Jackson Kowar will take the mound in an elimination game against Texas on Tuesday at the College World Series in Omaha, Nebraska. 

It was an ugly, ugly game.

The score wasn’t indicative of how lopsided the contest really felt. The Gators only lost 6-3 to the Red Raiders early Monday morning in the College World Series in Omaha, Nebraska, but should feel lucky it wasn’t worse.

TTU was aided by just one scored UF error, but the Gators had several other defensive miscues. A balk, missed ground balls, line drives that went off infielders’ gloves and passed balls helped the Red Raiders run all over UF.

Florida needed to perform well defensively if it was to win the ballgame, as Texas Tech has one of the most potent offenses in the country. Its team batting average is .311, and its slugging percentage is .510. Five players in its typical starting lineup are batting at least .325.

After pitching five solid innings, starter Brady Singer fell apart shortly after the defense began to struggle. Singer went on to give up five runs, but only two of them were earned.

So where does Florida turn now?

Answer: Jackson Kowar.

The Gators will go up against perennial powerhouse Texas today in an elimination game 65 minutes after the conclusion of Arkansas and Texas Tech, which begins at 7 p.m. Kowar will likely be the man they put on the mound.

The Kansas City Royals draft pick pitched a gem in his last start, a no-decision against the Auburn Tigers in the Gainesville Super Regional on June 10. He gave up just one run on three hits with six strikeouts.

UF fans should be cautious though. In the three games leading up to his mastery of Auburn, he had three bad outings in which he gave up at least seven hits in each contest. He also allowed seven runs twice in those three starts.

Texas’ lineup isn’t quite as powerful as Texas Tech’s and only has one batter in its probable starting lineup batting over .300, second baseman Kody Clemens (.352), who is also slugging .734.

Clemens is the son of former MLB pitcher, Roger Clemens.

The Longhorns will likely put pitchers Chase Shugart or Blair Henley on the bump to start the game, based on the team's recent contests.

Both pitchers struggled in relief appearances during their previous respective matches. Shugart failed to record an out and gave up three runs on two hits against Arkansas in the CWS. Henley also failed to record an out against Tennessee Tech and gave up one run on no hits with two walks in the Super Regional.

Shugart owns a 4.37 ERA and carries a 6-3 record while Henley sports a 3.32 ERA and a 6-6 slate.

The Gators will need to lean on their veterans to stay alive in Omaha. Catcher/first baseman JJ Schwarz made his long-awaited return to the lineup against Texas Tech but didn’t record a hit.

UF will look for his pop to return against Texas along with teammates Jonathan India and Wil Dalton, third baseman and right fielder, respectively.

The “Bash Bros.” have struggled since the start of Gainesville Super Regional.

India is batting a mediocre average by his standards (.272), while Dalton has a paltry average of .214. Look for those two to help the Gators get back on track against the Longhorns.

@THEChrisOB

cobrien@alligator.org