Gators coach Kevin O’Sullivan looked out and saw reserves all over the field. 

It was the fifth inning and yet the Mike Zuninos and the Preston Tuckers and the Nolan Fontanas of the world stood alongside O’Sullivan on the McKethan Stadium dugout steps. The game was over. Any possibilities that No. 1 Florida (11-1) would look past Florida Atlantic (8-5) after a big weekend series had vanished in the Gainesville night. 

“We spoke to the team before we took [batting practice] today,” O’Sullivan said. “Historically, this week has been kind of a week where we haven’t played our best for whatever reason. We addressed that and wanted to make sure they put the Miami weekend behind them.” 

The Gators defeated the Owls 16-1 on Tuesday night, jumping out early by scoring 14 runs in the first four innings and never looking back. 

Early scoring was fueled by junior catcher Mike Zunino and senior center fielder Tyler Thompson.

In his first two at-bats, Zunino saw four pitches and deposited two of them over the left-field wall while knocking in five runs. He was pulled from the game after an infield single in the fourth inning.

Thompson stayed in the game longer than most of the other starters, causing damage early and often. He singled in freshman Casey Turgeon in the second inning before reeling off a two-run homer the following inning, scoring freshman Josh Tobias. 

“Tyler had a great swing on that ball,” O’Sullivan said. “He hit that ball a mile.”

He would later pick up RBI on a fielder’s choice to first in the fourth and then a sacrifice fly to center field in the sixth inning. 

Senior right fielder Preston Tucker threw a couple more RBI on his record by turning in a 2-for-4 performance with a pair of singles. 

While it was easy to talk offense on Tuesday night, Florida’s pitchers were able to get through a routine night at the ballpark. Freshman Bobby Poyner got his first collegiate start out of his system, working four innings of three-hit ball, striking out three and allowing the game’s only FAU run. 

Of the 16 batters he faced, Poyner was aggressive, throwing 14 first-pitch strikes and giving up no walks. 

“We’ve got a lot of confidence in Bobby; he’s been throwing the ball really well,” O’Sullivan said. “Unfortunately he had that labrum surgery that kind of set him back in the fall, but he’s come back after Christmas break. He’s looked really sharp.”

After Ryan Harris worked two innings of relief, O’Sullivan gave the ball to relievers Keenan Kish and Corey Stump, who each made their first appearance of the season. The trio combined to give up seven hits (all singles) over five innings and walk one batter. 

“Three of the four guys we threw out there tonight were freshmen, so it was really good to get those guys some action as well,” O’Sullivan said. 

The Gators will now turn around and welcome Florida A&M into McKethan Stadium on Wednesday night.

A radio broadcast contributed to this report.