<p>Senior running back Mike Gillislee runs the football during the Gators' first practice of fall camp Aug. 3. Gillislee said that he wants to have a "banger" season in 2012.</p>

Senior running back Mike Gillislee runs the football during the Gators' first practice of fall camp Aug. 3. Gillislee said that he wants to have a "banger" season in 2012.

Big backs torched the Gators last season. As Jeff Demps and Chris Rainey dashed from sideline to sideline, physical backs such as Trent Richardson of Alabama and Spencer Ware of LSU wore down a depleted Gators defensive line.

The two combined for 290 yards and four touchdowns vs. Florida.

Coach Will Muschamp wanted a power running game in his first season, but didn't have the players or the offensive scheme.

Enter senior back Mike Gillislee and new offensive coordinator Brent Pease.

"We're a zone-based, power-based team and that's one of his strengths," Pease said. "He's a good running back, he's got good hands, he's smart, and he understands recognition and protection factors, which make him a well-rounded player."

Gillislee isn't the only bruising runner on the roster. Redshirt sophomore Mack Brown is expected to lead a mixed bag of players behind Gillislee.

Versatile Trey Burton, fullback Hunter Joyer, tight end turned running back Omarius Hines, former safety Chris Johnson and freshman Matt Jones round out the diverse group.

Gators coach Will Muschamp expected Jones to contribute this season and called the freshman a driven, and intelligent back.

"You've got to show up and do it every down in and down out, but certainly he's a guy that has the ability," Muschamp said. "And, to me, as I've said to y'all a bunch of times, the maturity level to handle playing that early - how much, who knows?"

Training camp started last Friday. A scrimmage Saturday, the ninth official team practice, will help Muschamp decide who gets the bulk of the carries.

"Now we've got to start developing who's getting the reps and who's getting the ball," Muschamp said. "Who are going to be the guys that can score for us at the end of the day."

It's still early to say any back besides Gillislee separated themselves from the others. The coaching staff has had too small a sample size, Muschamp said Monday.

"I'm not ready to say that after the practice of fall camp about anybody at any position," he said.

"Nobody to me has established themselves to do anything around here right now. We've had three practices and two of them have been in shorts. I would look good out there in shorts."

The Gators finished eighth in the Southeastern Conference in rushing yards last season, putting up 143 yards a game.

Demps and Rainey graduated and moved on to careers in track and pro football, respectively. They combined to account for 77 percent of the rushing yardage last season.

Gillislee and Brown arrived at Florida as four-star recruits. Now the duo can prove their worth among a young running back corps.

Redshirt sophomore offensive tackle Chaz Green noticed a motivated Gillislee and Brown this summer.

"He's a real tough downhill runner; he and Mack Brown both of those guys," Green said.

"I'm really looking forward to blocking for them. I know they both are hungry."

Gillislee averaged 48 attempts in three seasons. While Florida struggled between the tackles last season, Gillislee seemed hidden on the sidelines.

Frustrated Florida fans started #FreeGilly campaigns on Twitter.

There won't be trouble finding No. 23 on the field in 2012. If it goes Gillisleeís way, he will rush for 1,500 yards and 24 touchdowns like he predicted.

Even if he does not reach his lofty statistical goals, he will be the experienced, bruising back Florida has craved in recent seasons.

"I'm excited. For one, this is my senior year and I get to be a part of something special," Gillislee said. "I just want to go out with a banger year."