<p>Karsten Whitson pitches during UF’s 5-0 win against USF on Feb. 20, 2011, at McKethan Stadium.</p>

Karsten Whitson pitches during UF’s 5-0 win against USF on Feb. 20, 2011, at McKethan Stadium.

The phrase “defense wins championships” proved ever so true on Sunday afternoon as LSU won the Southeastern Conference Tournament in a 2-0 victory over top-seeded Florida.

The Tigers’ win marks their eighth straight victory.

Florida (40-21) started RHP Karsten Whitson on the mound, who came through and delivered. The former no. 9 overall pick in the 2011 MLB Draft retired the LSU (44-14-1) side easily in the first and gave up a single in the second to Kade Scivicque, but the threat was neutralized as LSU’s Tyler Moore hit into a double play and Connor Hale grounded out.

In the bottom of the first, Florida’s two-hole hitter Richie Martin drew a walk from Tigers RHP Alden Cartwright and stole second. He would advance to third off a Harrison Bader groundout, but Taylor Gushue flied out to end the threat. Florida couldn’t bring in the runner in scoring position in the second.

Whitson would hit Christian Ibarra in the third, but grounded out Mark Laird and struck out Alex Bregman to retire the side.

Josh Tobias drew a leadoff walk from Cartwright to start the third, but Casey Turgeon hit into a double play and a Martin groundout would end the Gators’ inning. Florida’s offensive struggles would continue throughout the game.

In the fourth, Braden Mattson would break up Cartwright’s no-hitter with a single up the middle, but Cartwright escaped the inning without allowing a run, however. LSU’s fourth was ended by Bader’s running grab on a high fly ball in center.

Whitson made LSU go three up, three down to open the fifth.

LSU changed pitchers in the fifth as starter Cartwright finished the day with four innings, no runs and one hit. He walked four and had zero strikeouts on 56 pitches. Nate Fury took over on the mound for the Tigers.

Fury allowed a hit, but the Tigers got out of the inning still scoreless.

In the sixth, Whitson appeared to be fading, allowing back-to-back singles by Laird and Bregman, but kept his cool. He intentionally walked Sean McMullen to load the bases with one out, and Scivicque hit into a nice defensive 6-4-3 inning-ending double play.

Florida was unable to get anything offensively in the sixth.

Whitson’s day came to an end in the seventh after hitting Moore with no outs. He threw a gem — 6 innings, just 3 hits and no runs on 66 pitches including 36 strikes.

RHP Ryan Harris relieved and left Moore stranded.

Florida went down quietly in the seventh.

In the top of the eighth, LSU struck first as Harris would give up a two-run homer to the DH Sean McMullen to give the Tigers a two run lead.

LSU would bring in Kurt McCune in the eighth, and struck out the Gators in order to end the inning.

Florida’s Tyler Deel started in the ninth, and held the Tigers lead to just two runs, but Florida couldn’t find the bats in the bottom of the ninth, which sealed the LSU victory.

The road to Omaha continues for Florida, who will find out their regional site for the 2014 NCAA Baseball Tournament on Sunday evening. The full field will be announced on ESPNU’s selection show that will air on ESPNU Monday at noon.

Follow Morgan Moriarty on Twitter @Morgan_Moriarty