Whether it was a late turnover in a loss to Jacksonville, a refreshing Christmas break or even a familiarity with conference foes, something flipped a switch for Chandler Parsons.

The senior forward was averaging only 9.3 points and 6.3 rebounds per game as the calendar turned to 2011, but he has taken a significant step forward in the new year.

In two games last week, both victories, he combined for 35 points, 23 rebounds and seven assists.

His improvement was recognized Monday with the announcement that Parsons was named the Oscar Robertson National Player of the Week by the U.S. Basketball Writers Association.

The senior’s continued strong play will be critical as No. 17 Florida (18-5, 7-2 Southeastern Conference) looks to avenge an early loss to South Carolina (13-8, 4-4 SEC) tonight at 8 in Columbia.

“Chandler’s been playing great. That’s what we expect from him,” junior guard Erving Walker said. “He affects the game in so many ways for us — offense, scoring, rebounding, assists. He just does it all at 6-10 for us, and he’s playing like a senior should.”

Earlier this season, Parsons said he sees himself as the most versatile player in college basketball, and there is far more to the senior’s game than his 11 points per contest.

Parsons has backed up that claim during conference play, as he ranks in the top five in assists (3.7) and rebounds (9.2) per game.

Only one other player — Georgia’s Travis Leslie — is even in the top 20 in both categories.

That production and versatility are the reasons UF coach Billy Donovan kept Parsons in the lineup for all 20 minutes of Saturday’s second half against Kentucky — something the coach did not remember ever doing in his time at Florida.

“I wanted to try to get him out of the game, but he was doing too many things,” Donovan said. “He really had a complete game all the way through.”

The 6-foot-10 Parsons presents a unique threat for opposing coaches, as he has the size and speed to get in the lane and score.

He has also shown an ability to hit the three. After connecting on just 31.3 percent of his long-range attempts in nonconference play, the senior has found his stroke and currently ranks second in SEC games with a 46.9 three-point shooting percentage.

He has even shown the ability to handle the ball and run the offense, establishing a 2.4-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio in conference play.

“Without question, we feel like him being a playmaker and a play starter for us, and a play finisher, is important,” Donovan said.

Parsons complements his various talents with relentless effort, crashing the glass on nearly every offensive rebounding opportunity.

On three separate occasions Saturday, Parsons read the trajectory of a missed shot and came flying in from the wing to get the follow-up score.

“I think the biggest thing is he provides effort when he goes to the backboard,” Donovan said. “I’ve never had a problem with Chandler’s effort.”