<p>UF quarterback drops back to pass during Florida's 14-9 win against Kentucky on Sept. 19, 2015, at Commonwealth Stadium in Lexington, Kentucky.</p>

UF quarterback drops back to pass during Florida's 14-9 win against Kentucky on Sept. 19, 2015, at Commonwealth Stadium in Lexington, Kentucky.

Will Grier’s time with the Florida Gators is over.

The redshirt freshman quarterback, who is in the midst of serving a 12-month suspension for failing an NCAA-sanctioned drug test, has asked for his release to transfer from the University of Florida.

If Grier were to transfer to another Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) school, he would have to sit out a year due to NCAA transfer policies in addition to fulfilling the final half of his suspension.

In this scenario, he would not be able to see the field until midway through his redshirt junior season in 2017.

“Will came to me about exploring his options to transfer. We will support him and help him in anyway we can,” UF coach Jim McElwain said in a statement.

Grier became UF’s full-time starter heading into the Gators’ 14-9 win against Kentucky on Sept. 19.

The redshirt freshman led Florida to three more conference wins against Tennessee, then-No. 3 Ole Miss and Missouri before being handed the 12-month suspension by the NCAA on Oct. 12.

At the time of the suspension, Grier led the Southeastern Conference with a 65.8-percent completion percentage and had 10 touchdown passes to just three interceptions.

Treon Harris took over the starting job following Grier’s suspension, and the Gators went 4-3 since the switch and the offense dropped from 42nd nationally to 109th.

Harris has completed 50.9 percent of his passes while throwing just seven touchdowns to five interceptions since taking over the starting job Oct. 17 in Florida’s 35-28 loss to LSU. UF’s passing offense has since dropped to 78th in the country.

Grier hasn’t been at practice since being handed the suspension, with McElwain saying Grier was focusing on the appeal process and his academics. The appeal to have the suspension lessened from a full calendar year to just the 2015 season was denied on Nov. 20.

“This has been very difficult on him and obviously he is looking for a fresh start,” McElwain said. “We will always be there for him as will all Gators.”

With Grier leaving, Florida’s quarterbacks expected to be on the roster next season include Treon Harris, Oregon State transfer Luke Del Rio and 2016 commitments Feleipe Franks and Kyle Trask.

The news of Grier’s transfer request was first reported by Bob Redman of Scout’s Fightin’ Gators.

Contact Jordan McPherson at jmcpherson@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @J_McPherson1126